Murano Glass  Forums  

Go Back   Murano Glass Forums > What is it worth? / Is it real?

Old 11-09-2011, 04:50 PM

Question foal/colts foot shaped vase

Hi, hopefully I have got this question in the right place this time. I have a pair of vases, from a collection of red glassware I inherited from my parents, lots of Whitefriars, Venetian and other red glass, I thought they were something that had been damaged and maybe had been ground at the neck and was going to throw them out, but purely by chance I have seen the exact same vase on an online auction site saying it was Vintage Murano, I would like to know if anybody can give me any information on the vase regarding age, value etc., I have attached some photographs of one of them. I am just learning how to use and I hope that I have done everything properly. Thankyou
Attached Images

Old 11-10-2011, 06:18 AM

Hi angelina I dont think your vase Murano in origin for one the base shape does not say Murano to me ,they look more Czech in shape or modern Chinese at least 30% of items advertised on ebay as Murano are not,however perhaps you could post a picture of base I have encountered Chinese glass that is finished at the top as your vase is.A picture of base may illicit more.Cliff
Old 11-10-2011, 09:57 AM

thankyou Cliff for your info and time, I have taken more photos of the base as you suggested.
One of the bases is quite dimpled the other has ring effects, dont know if that is of any use.
I dont know where they came from, my late father was an antique dealer, both selling and collecting so they could be from anywhere. A lot of red glass items do get described as Murano or Whitefriars - I for one am guilty of thinking some of my pieces were Whitefriars and they werent - I just wish I had found this forum before it would have saved me hours and hours of researching, although that bit was fun I find it very frustrating at times. Thankyou once again and I hope the extra photos will shed more light.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2011, 06:19 AM

Hi Angelina with your base pictures I feel your vases modern Chinese,mass produced and of minimal value ,when you see that kind of finish to bases it is indicative of poor finishing.I hope you have better results with your other glass.Cliff
Old 11-14-2011, 09:51 AM

thankyou Cliff for the info, to be honest I dont like them, I think they look like something that hasnt been finished off.
So now I know at least I can get rid of them or might try and make them into lamps
But thankyou for your time, it is an interesting hobby glass collecting and there is always something to be learnt from others, mine today is - things with dimpled bottoms are not finished off properly!!! hmmmmm will remember that one - thanks again Cliff