Murano Glass  Forums  

Go Back   Murano Glass Forums > What is it worth? / Is it real?

Old 01-13-2011, 01:44 PM

Unhappy Can Anyone help me with these please

I have inherited these two pieces which I believe to be Murano Glass but I have no idea if they are as there are no labels or markings. Does anyone have any idea what I have and if it's worth anything. The bird is slightly damaged on the tip of a wing as per the picture.

In reality the pieces are more pink than red, the camera flash has made them look redder than they are

Any help would be most welcome

Thanks in advance
Old 01-13-2011, 02:44 PM

Hi and welcome to the forums. Your bird and apple bowl are just splendid. Both the bowl and the bird are made by Archimede Seguso in the famous Alabastro technique. These types of pieces come in many colors in the Alabastro technique. If you look at some of the member albums (All Albums at the top of the page) you will find other members who also collect Seguso Alabastro. You have two very fine examples. I hope you are enjoying them.

tam bam
Old 01-13-2011, 05:39 PM

Any idea to what the are worth?

I've tried to research online but no luck
Old 01-13-2011, 06:39 PM

I am terrible with values, but Seguso alabastro is not cheap by any means. Trust me you have good pieces as long as the glass is not chipped, nicked, cracked, broken, etc. then it will not lower the value.

Here is a link to another fellow member's online store. She has several alabastro pieces and it should give you a round about idea of value.

http://www.rubylane.com/shop/sanmarcosartglass

tam bam

P.S. I have a gold bird just like your alabastro one.

Last edited by tam bam; 01-13-2011 at 06:41 PM..
Old 01-13-2011, 06:44 PM

Thank you I will indeed take a look.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:47 PM

Here it is!

Name:  seguso bird 001.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  47.8 KB

tam bam
Old 03-03-2011, 08:39 AM

Default Selling

I am now looking at selling both pieces, but I'm really stuck as to their value. I have spent hours online to no avail. Can anyone help me as I don't want to sell them too cheap????

Thanks in advance
Jeana x
Old 03-03-2011, 09:32 AM

Hi, Jeana. The Murano market is a bit soft on value right now, so it is definitely hard to price things. I typically ask $100 for the alabastro birds when they are perfect and accept offers of $85 for them. The damage to the wing lowers the value of your bird, unfortunately. Most Murano buyers will not buy birds that even have a small amount of damage unless it is rare. The alabastro birds are fairly common. I would consider it good if I could sell it for $30-40 with the damage.

Leslie Pina has an apple bowl like yours in a different color on page 197 of her book Archimede Seguso. She values the bowl at $100-150. I believe one could realistically expect half that value for the bowl if you want to sell quickly.

I recently retired most of my alabastro because of the market conditions. I also retired my Dino Martens pieces. I enjoy having them here with me until conditions become more favorable. With gas increasing in price, I can't predict when that will be.

Your glass is a rose color. The bird and apple are the same shade, so you might be able to sell your bird more readily if it is sold with the apple. Sometimes this can backfire. Strangely enough -- sometimes I offer two birds together, one perfect and one with a chip. People will sometimes pay more for one undamaged bird than they will for two birds when one is damaged.

Hope this helps some. Pricing glass is confusing now.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:51 PM

Thank you so much, your information has defiantly helped.

I really appreciate you taking the time.