Murano Glass  Forums  

Go Back   Murano Glass Forums > What is it worth? / Is it real?

Old 05-19-2010, 11:51 AM

Default Verify Artist and Value of Murano Glass Sculpture

We purchased this glass sculpture from La S. Marco Vetri d' Arte in April 1998 for approx. $5-6 million Italian Lira ($3-4K U.S. Dollars, at the time). The piece was named 'Lovers Abyss' and it was signed by the artist. It is difficult to make out the signature but it is similar to pieces we've seen attributed to Sandro Fattin; however, we have seen no other 'couples' in cased glass, as this is.

This piece stands approximately 16" high, the base is 7-8" wide and it weighs 30-40 lbs. When properly lit, the black base/bubbles reveal hints of color and the couple reflects brightly.

Any experts out there who could verify the artist (or a picture of Sandro Fattin's signature) or provide any insight on its current value?

Thanks,
Curious Cat
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2010, 02:02 PM

Default Frattini Lovers Sculpture

Hi Curiouscath first let me say their is a good example of S.Frattini signature on page 3 of this forums label library,the "Lovers" sculptures appear regularly here normally 16inch standing figures by several makers, I have seen the lovers by S.Frattini in the prone position signed ,but never your cased version, please post pic of signature so we may see if we can attribute it.It could be one of a few as $3-4 thousand was alot back then .Cliff

Last edited by artifice; 05-19-2010 at 02:06 PM..
Old 05-21-2010, 03:49 PM

Default Photo of Signature

Hi Cliff. Thanks for the redirect to S. Frattini's signature...which does not resemble the artist's signature on our piece. I scanned the Label Library and see none that match either. I've attached a picture of this artist's signature which you or other experts might be more familiar with. Thanks, CuriousCath.
Attached Images

Old 05-21-2010, 04:25 PM

Hi and welcome Curiouscath,

It is kind of hard to make out the signature but I am going to take a stab at this one. Could it possibly be Elio Raffaeli? Take a look at this sculpture I found and see if you can match this signature with yours. I hope this helps. You have a very special sculpture indeed.

tam bam
Old 05-21-2010, 05:34 PM

Default Sculpture

Hi Curiouscath I think Tam bam has a fair chance of being right your photo of signature is very blurred ,Elio Raffaeli has worked at many good furnaces,Seguso Dalla, Salviati then in 1982 started A.R.S Murano along with others ,he also worked at Livio Seguso you say the sculpture was bought in 1998 its possible then Raffaeli was still a Livio Seguso when your sculpture was made I think if I remember correctly Livio Seguso closed his furnace in1999.Elio Raffaeli signs all his work at $3-4 thousand your piece would be substantial .Cliff
Old 05-21-2010, 07:57 PM

Default It is Elio Raffaeli

Many thanks to Tam Bam and Cliff for helping us identify the artist for our glass art! We checked the signature again and it is certainly Elio...and we also found a similar piece online, so we are confident that it is his. You guys certainly know your glass!
Old 01-07-2011, 01:54 PM

I found, today, your sculpture by Raffaeli. The link provides you with a name for your piece and the year it was made.

http://www.artbrokerage.com/artist/E...culpture-24001

tam bam