Murano Glass  Forums  

Go Back   Murano Glass Forums > What is it worth? / Is it real?

Old 10-10-2009, 02:15 AM

Default Murano Birds! Help Please

Marked with the Vetri Murano clear Label 043 and a signature can anyone recognize the signature and possible age of the piece? And any Idea of value would be appreciated also.

More of a Cranberry colour then moving into a deeper Ruby colouring they stand 15 high and the width across the Birds is 9 the diameter across the base is 6 and it weighs close to 10lbs.

Any help would be most welcome thank you.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2009, 05:30 AM

Default Murano birds

HI nice bird sculpture N.Z collectables, the eternal questions who made it & whats it worth,well the label helps (043) is the company Signoretto Silvano Srl.this company has artists in from all over so at moment I cannot say artist who made it .On the plus side the signature is quite clear compared to some.it should be possible to e-mail it to them and see if they have answer.As to age within last 15yrs l would think,as to value ,not the best time to be selling ,300-400 is my opinion ,thats it value on secondary market ,but don,t be suprised if there are no takers at this time. In conclusion nice item and I hope I have been of assistance.Cliff
Old 10-10-2009, 09:38 AM

I can help with the name. It is Renato Anatra. He is one of the most prolific glass sculptors in Murano. You often see his name given as "Austria" in listings. He made a lot of animals, including human sculptures.

All of these signed pieces are welcome to be in the zoo. But let me quit begging.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:18 PM

Thumbs up Thank You.

Cliff and Anita, thank you both for your help on this piece, much appreciated, I will follow the maker up from here. And yes Anita more than happy for you to use the pictures in your Zoo if you so wish. Leo.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:44 PM

Thanks, Leo. We can't save the pictures from Fossilfly. Could you email me a copy of the first picture. My email is acaudle at austin.rr.com. If you'll let me know your full name, I'll credit the picture to you.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:21 PM

I would like to revisit this post. I have been doing some research regarding Silvano Signoretto. I still have a lot of unanswered questions about his past work but I have never read anywhere that he worked with Arte 80 or with Renato Anatra. I don't want to step on any toes here, but I wanted to bring this up because there seems to be a lot of confusion with Maestro Signoretto. I think the time these birds were made Maestro Signoretto was working for Seguso Vetri d' Arte. His website lists the companies he has worked for in the past and I am assuming the companies that are mentioned are in order from when he first started making glass to where he is today.

http://www.silvanosignoretto.com/pre...e1inglese.html

When Marc Heiremans' book comes out on SVdA hopefully it will help my research (if and when it is published). I would love to know the dates when he worked for SVdA but I know he worked with Angelo Seguso and Angelo became managing partner in 1968 and left in 1985. So, Signoretto had to work there between those times and maybe even after Angelo left the company and Arte 80 was formed in the 80's so something doesn't add up to me. Hopefully when the new book comes out I will know for certain. All of this has givin me something to ponder about. I wonder if the VM 043 label is Arte 80's number instead of Silvano Signoretto.

tam bam
Old 01-11-2011, 04:31 PM

Didn't Anatra start Arte 80 with Andrea Tagliapietra, Tami? I don't know if there are ties with Silvano Signoretto. For some reason I have Silvano down on the Vetri Murano list under the same number. I'll have to check what the logic might have been. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:37 PM

I located this thread http://www.fossilfly.com/Forums/show...?t=2627&page=2 and saw we had some confusion there that was never sorted through. I think we should take the Signoretto off 043 until we have something concrete to tell us otherwise.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:21 PM

Agreed, Anita. I have never found a connection with Silvano Signoretto, Arte '80 (Tagliapietra or Anatra). Yes, Tagliapietra and Anatra founded Arte '80 in 1980 I believe. I personally believe the 043 VM number is Arte '80's VM number. I just wanted to bring it up again to sort the whole thing out.

Signoretto probably doesn't have a VM number because he didn't form his company until 1999 and he worked for other companies in Murano before he formed his own company. But he may have a Promovetro number that I am unaware of (if he registered but I don't see his name on the Promovetro site, just Pino).

tam bam
Old 01-11-2011, 07:07 PM

Hmmm... I found this interesting website. It has a blog on Andrea Tagliapietra and his son Fabio Tagliapietra. When it discusses Andrea it also discusses a little about Arte '80. But what really caught my attention is reading about his son, Fabio. Fabio completed his apprenticeship with Silvano Signoretto (the author spells his name as Sylvano), but no mention of Silvano and Arte '80. Interesting read.

http://www.redstickglass.com/maestrostagliapietra05.htm

tam bam