Murano Glass  Forums  

Go Back   Murano Glass Forums > What is it worth? / Is it real?

Old 12-20-2008, 04:52 AM

Question Hi! Can anyone help me ID these 2 pieces please?

Hi everyone! I just bought these 2 pieces... one is supposed to be an Archimede Seguso duck, and although it has the indentation in it's belly that Seguso is known for, I didn't think Seguso did 2-toned eyes like this. I have seen a Fratelli Toso duck with lavendar eyes like this, but I doubt I'd get that lucky, lol. The bowl is supposed to be Alfredo Barbini, and looks extremely similar in shape, size, color to a Venini bowl I saw listed for $350, but there's a lot more clear casing around it than the Venini blowl had. Could it possibly be a Barbini version/copy of the Venini bowl maybe?

Dimensions & Info:

Duck - stands 5 5/8 inches tall, applied eyes, and has "lots" of gold aventurine in feet & bill" (it just doesn't show up in the pic too well in the feet, which I've seen before in pics I've taken if there's too much flash or light, as can be seen in the appearance of different amounts of aventurine in the 2 pics of the bill).

Bowl - white lattimo core with copper aventurine on the interior and "gold leaf" (aventurine?) on the outside--all encased in clear glass. 2.5 inches tall x 6 3/8 inches across. (I think this bowl might actually be darker than in the pics, it looks like they used a flash or some kind of lighting which could have lightened the color up a bit, as with the aventurine in the duck?)

Thanks in advance for any help, and I hope everyone has a Wonderful Holiday Season!
Sincerely,
Cathy
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2008, 11:15 PM

The bowl looks to be Barbini to me, they were known for this style of bowl and the colors are typical, the use of two types of gold and copper dust on the inside and outside is interesting, I don't recall any with 2 types of metallic foil or dust. I don't have any advice on the bird, unfortunately, it doesn't look familiar to me.

A similar toothpick holder without the gold inclusions, is on ebay here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=360089056059

Last edited by glassman; 12-21-2008 at 11:19 PM..
Old 12-26-2008, 03:13 AM

Hi Glassman, thank you for your reply. I received the duck and bowl the other day. The bowl is all copper aventurine on the inside, and it is much darker than the picture, as I thought it would be, and it's absolutely beautiful. The aventurine on the exterior is interesting. It's a light dusting over maybe 2/3rds of it; not a heavy amount of it by any means. When looking at it with a magnifying glass, looking straight on it, it does look gold, but looking at it from different angles, it takes on a copper apperance. I do think it's a Barbini.

As for the duck... I'm still looking to see what I can come up with. It is well made, beautiful, and heavy for it's size. I need to hunt around a little more at Murano ducks though.

Thank you again, and I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas!
Cathy
Old 12-27-2008, 02:09 AM

Talking

Hey Alex, guess what?! I found another Barbini with gold and copper aventurine! It's a lot diff than mine in size & shape (larger, thinner, flatter... more dish-like than a bowl). It's at this auction website and is documented as A. Barbini, c. 1950s, with 2 Cramer Glass NY Labels:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Murano-BARBINI-A...3A1%7C294%3A50

Here's the "Venini" auction site of the bowl that I initially mentioned that looks similar to mine in size, shape, and actually the coloring too (the pics I posted of mine make it look so light but it's not, it's dark). And there's no exterior aventurine on this one, and there's less clear casing too; it's BIN for $350, or BO. I didn't notice before, but it actually says "Venini Barbini" in the title, so maybe it's a Barbini instead of a Venini? Is that what they mean by listing it that way, that it's one or the other?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=190181003673

I'm just so glad I found another auction that has an authentic Barbini with both the copper and gold aventurine on it! Now I have no doubt that I have an authentic Barbini, and that it's worth a lot more than what I paid for it too!! Do you, or does anyone, have an approx idea of what my Barbini might be worth? I paid $30 total for it, and that included the shipping and insurance, which was "free."

Thanks in advance,
Cathy
Old 12-28-2008, 06:23 PM

Here's another link to an auction I just found for a "Venini" bowl like mine witth the extra clear casing and the aventurine on both the interor and exterior of the bowl. It has a label... I'm waiting to hear back from the seller about what it says:
http://cgi.ebay.com/50S-CASED-MURANO...713.m153.l1262

So I don't know if I have a Barbini or a Venini... and I wonder if the sellers know either, lol. I'd love to find out for certain though!

Have a nice evening all!
Cathy
Old 12-28-2008, 08:13 PM

Cathy, the label on the eBay bowl is Camer. Barbini did a lot of things for Camer. I believe Seguso may have done a few things for them, but I am not sure. The bowl looks very Barbini to me.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:14 PM

Thanks Anita! So I most likely have a Barbini, and the sellers do too, or at least the one with the Cramer label. That's cool by me for sure! I'm getting Leslie Pina's book in January, when my next check comes in, and I think I need to hit the library in Knoxville to see what books they might have on art glass too. Thanks for your help. I didn't know the Cramer label, but now I do.

Have a good night all,
Cathy
Old 12-29-2008, 10:03 PM

Just one correction -- It is Camer Glass, without an r. Camer was a New York company that imported glass and ceramics. The Camer labels I have seen on Murano pieces have been Barbini from the 1960s. I don't know how long Camer imported from Murano, though, and how many Murano companies they may have bought from. I hope someone else knows more about Camer.

Last edited by TxSilver; 12-29-2008 at 10:06 PM..
Old 12-31-2008, 09:27 AM

Thank you for the correction Anita. I'll file it in my Murano brain storage area... which is getting kinda full, lol. I appreciate your, and everyone's help with this,
Cathy