Murano Glass  Forums  

Go Back   Murano Glass Forums > Murano and Venetian Glass Forums > All things Murano!

Old 12-11-2007, 12:00 AM

Default fratelli tosso lamp?

I have recently acquired a millefiori lamp. It measures 13-1/2" in height. The base is approximately 8-1/4" high, and the opening at the bottom of the shade that fits into the base is approximately 3-1/2" in diameter. There is also a small hole in the top of the shade that measures 3/8" in diameter In my internet research it seems consistent with other Fratelli Toso lamps I have come across. There are no signatures or stickers on the piece. I would be interested in knowing if it is a work by Fratelli Toso, and its value. Any help, including research material, would be appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 12-11-2007, 08:44 AM

Your lamp looks like a mid-century Fratelli Toso millefiori lamp. I don't have a book with the values of lamps, so I cannot be of great assistance. I have seen similar lamps sell for a wide range of prices, going from $500 to $1000. A similar, larger lamp was being sold at an antique store here a couple of years ago for $750. It was advertised as 30% off, so its original price was probably $975.

Millefiori is very popular right now, so the current price will be near the true value. You may be able to find some that have sold recently on eBay to check their prices. Your lamp is very nice and will sell very well if it is undamaged.

Anita
Old 12-11-2007, 08:58 AM

I looked a little on the internet and found a lamp similar to yours, but with cuts canes. The link is http://www.trocadero.com/moltabellag...tem492203.html. This lamp is probably more rare than yours, but it will help give some idea.

Anita
Old 12-11-2007, 06:37 PM

Thanks for the info! Robert
Old 02-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Heres a link to a catalog page for Fratelli Toso lamps; I came across it in my travels today It may be of some use to someone!

http://www.retro-modern.com/Original/I6-4.JPG

Visit the Murano Label Library

Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/fossilfly
Old 02-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Banned

Default Toso Lamp

It seems to be missing a finial.... well now looking at the catalog link... perhaps the hole in the top is just to let the heat escape... I've had one from the top row but not the mushroom style that I could remember... they date from the early 20'th century and yours is either a later production or was rewired. I'm guessing rewired... not necessarily a bad thing.

Last edited by springhead; 02-20-2008 at 08:00 PM..
Old 02-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Banned

Hmm... Molta Bella's has the same wiring... They may have continued making them into the 1960's and seventies.

Wiring was done with wound cloth cord in the twenties and into the thirties and in the late forties you begin to see rubber and plastic begins in the fifties.

You don't see switches like that until the early seventies.