Murano Glass  Forums  

Go Back   Murano Glass Forums > General Chat

Old 04-18-2012, 10:09 PM

Default eBay Glass from Venice

A few of us in the group have had trouble buying glass from eBay sellers in Venice. If you don't know the company, it is best to steer clear. Many of the things that are being sold are reproductions at best. Some are knockoffs. There are forgeries. We recently discovered a seller that has terrible feedback on the ebay.es account sells on ebay.com using a different seller name. The fb looks squeaky clean in the US. A simple name change can hide a real scum sucker.

Shipping costs are high, so the best thing to remember is: if you see something you want on eBay that is being sold from Venice, stay away!... unless you know the shop you are dealing with. There are shops in Venice that sell only reproductions, and there are sellers on eBay that sell the same.

I wish we could arrest counterfeit glass people like we arrest counterfeit money people.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the heads up, in my mind I think people would tend to give more credence to a seller located in Venice to be selling authentic Murano, but unfortunately this is not the case. It never has been easy weeding out the fakes, but for Venetian merchants it seem like a case of cutting off your nose in spite of your face, by diluting the Murano "brand" and calling it into question for all potential buyers.

Visit the Murano Label Library

Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/fossilfly
Old 04-20-2012, 01:24 AM

Charlie, the reproductions are being made in Murano, so they are Murano glass. The problem is that they are being made by using pictures of the classic pieces, then are being sold as the classics. The people (or companies) that are being abundantly replicated are Venini, Anzolo Fuga, and Dino Martens. The Venini pieces I've seen are not signed. This is a good indication that the glass is a reproduction for the later pieces. However, the earlier Venini pieces are not signed, so it's just another problem. The Anzolo Fuga and Martens pieces don't look quite right. However, some pieces have been very good from what I understand.

I did not know the extent of reproduction that was going on. I received a question about a Fuga vase I was selling -- how could they know it was the real thing. To me it was obvious, so I really didn't understand why the question was asked... until I saw a reproduction on eBay. The one on eBay doesn't look as good as mine, but it made me aware that it was close enough to make people uneasy about buying one.

It is sad that there is a hush over Venice about these things. I guess with the financial dealings among companies that people do not want to jeopardize their own finances. Or perhaps they worry that further scandal will impact the industry in the way Chinese glass did.

Last edited by TxSilver; 04-20-2012 at 01:27 AM..
Old 04-20-2012, 02:51 PM
Administrator

I understand now, I am so used to Chinese glass being passed as Murano, I didn't consider that reproductions are being passed as authentic, vintage glass. Venini has always been good about verifying its own glass, but it's a small comfort, considering there are many other desirable pieces made by companies other than Venini.

Visit the Murano Label Library

Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/fossilfly