Murano Glass  Forums  

Go Back   Murano Glass Forums > Murano and Venetian Glass Forums > All things Murano!

Old 03-22-2012, 12:35 AM

Default "no venini" ebay listings

I have noticed over the past year or so on ebay that a lot of vases are being listed on ebay under titles which use keywords "No venini". They are generally similar to Toso or AVEM pieces and are listed as attributed to these makers. Some venini pieces have been listed by the same sellers, as well. All of these listings originate in Itay and are generally lower feedback number sellers. They are listed so similarly, I believe it might even be the same person with different user IDs. Most of these pieces appear to be too good to be true with low starting bids. Still, they seem to be extremely well made, you would think the new pieces would still sell for high prices even if they were just modern Murano glass pieces. So why would someone go to the trouble of misrepresentation? They are generally selling between $500 and $2000 which is normally pretty far below good auctionhouse results for similar pieces. If anyone out there has noticed these auctions an has any thoughts, I would really appreciate some discussion on this. Thanks for reading this, hope someone could shed some light on this matter.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:10 AM
Administrator

It's all a matter of keywords that are used for searching. It's factually "No Venini" but if someone searches for "Venini" these same items would also show in the search results as a match.

Visit the Murano Label Library

Follow us on Twitter: www.twitter.com/fossilfly
Old 03-23-2012, 10:12 AM

Yes, I understand that "no venini" just makes the items appear in search results. My point was that these listings happen to always contain that phrase in the title, originate in italy, have sellers with feedback of less than 300, and are vases which look like very good quality pieces which should be selling for big bucks at Quitenbaum.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:52 PM

What you can do is report the item for keyword spamming. I used to report different things about eBay, but the problems there are so numerous that I finally gave up. These sellers may hurt themselves. When I see keyword spamming, I avoid an item even if it is something I want. I figure if a seller is slippery in one way, they may be slippery in others. When it comes to glass, I want an honest seller.