Murano Glass  Forums  

Go Back   Murano Glass Forums > Murano and Venetian Glass Forums > All things Murano!

Old 04-09-2009, 05:33 PM

Default Barovier-Toso Signatures

Hi, all. Recently there have been some vases on eBay that have forged Barover & Toso signatures. I would give a link to one, but we would get into trouble with legalities. I don't have any forged vases around, so thought I would post a picture of a legitimate BT signature from one of their reticello vases. This signature is one that was used from the 1970s-early 1980s. Vases made later in the 1980s had a similar signature that was thicker, according to Heiremans in his book Murano Glass, Themes and Variations.

The forged vases were signed crudely over the middle of the vase -- where the pontil would be if the vases were blown. The valid BT vases I've seen had the signature more toward the edge of the base, even if the vases are decorated in the area. I don't know if this is always true. Please feel free to comment if there are some vases that are signed in the middle.

Two of the vases I've seen are Crate & Barrel vases that are worth $10-20. The one currently looks like it may also be C&B, but I am not sure. I'm just sure it isn't BT. Anyway... I thought I would warn people to be on the lookout for forged vases.
Attached Images

Last edited by TxSilver; 04-09-2009 at 05:39 PM.. Reason: grammar
Old 04-09-2009, 07:57 PM

Thanks a lot for the warning, Anita.

tam bam
Old 04-09-2009, 08:07 PM

Okay, I had to check it out for myself. I spotted what you are talking about on ebay. Yes, it is way obvious.

tam bam
Old 04-09-2009, 11:16 PM

Tam Bam, I wanted to say something because I have seen several vases being sold by this seller that were forgeries. Five recent vases sold were forged. I don't know how many could have been passed in the past. One Crate & Barrel vase with a forged sig went for over $700! We talked about the vases on the Glass Message Board and I put one in the store so people would know what it is. I was glad to see that the last forged one didn't sell. I think a lot of people read the groups, even if they don't write.

I reported the forgeries, but eBay understandably usually doesn't cancel auctions just because someone reports. It made me feel better, though. I don't know if the seller is intentionally passing forged vases or if he/she is buying them from someone who is forging. The result is the same, though. People new to collecting will end up spending a lot more money than the vases are worth.

An ideal world would be a wonderful thing! It would be nice to not have to worry about fraud.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam bam View Post
Okay, I had to check it out for myself. I spotted what you are talking about on ebay. Yes, it is way obvious.

tam bam
I couldn't find it? Maybe it was removed.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:19 PM

Unfortunately, the forged vases are still there. I just noticed a third forgery he/she is offering. Two of the vases have no bids. The third has one. Ah, well, I tried to report, but it didn't work. I wish we could get him/her off eBay.