Thread: Gondola, well and rocking chair

Default Gondola, well and rocking chair

Hello,
    I'm glad I found these forums! I have three glass pieces that were my grandmother's. I was always told they are 'Venetian glass'. However, the color is painted on and not real colored glass. Anyway, I've attached photos and if anyone can take a look and has any information that would be great. (Unfortunately, the pics could be better; the rocking chair has a glass lattice back.)

Thanks,
    Nichole
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Your glass is the kind that is called spun glass. It is often made by people working in malls. It is made using a small flame, instead of a furnace. I have a few spun glass pieces that I enjoy. I don't know if this type of glass is made in Venice. It may be, but it is not Murano glass.

Hope this helps.

That is helpful. Thank you!

I have had a few of these over the years, they are usually pyrex glass rods which can easily be formed and shaped by a torch. Its also known as lampworking.

Hi everyone. I call this kind of glass pieces "Disney" glass because when my mom took us to Disney when we were kids (aaaaall those years ago, lol), they had tons and tons of glass pieces like this. You could watch the glass makers making the pieces in the shops, and I think 'spun' glass would be the best description of it like Tx said. I have a lot of vintage pieces of it, even a 2 piece bird cage that swings that's about a foot tall. I like your gondola and rocking chair the best. Treasure your pieces, and let them be a reminder of something that your grandmother loved.
    Cathy