Thread: Murano "Roman imitation"?

Default Murano "Roman imitation"?

Dear friends! I have bought two glass products in Venice. 1. A plate with artificial ageing. 2. Imitation of the Roman vase. On both there is "brand" in the form of hollows. The seller has told, that it - Murano, 1920th years. Whether the truth it? I shall be very glad for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Quote Originally Posted by Eugeny View Post
    Dear friends! I have bought two glass products in Venice. 1. A plate with artificial ageing. 2. Imitation of the Roman vase. On both there is "brand" in the form of hollows. The seller has told, that it - Murano, 1920th years. Whether the truth it? I shall be very glad for the help.
    The design looks to be similar to the scavo technique, made to look as the object was excavated from ruins. I cannot vouch for the age of the item, but the "brand" is not a brand, but a pontil mark, where the glass blow pipe was snapped off during the creation of the vase.
    Alex

Scavo is always difficult to identify without seeing a documented piece. So many countries made modern Roman or Persian-like pieces. I have the feeling the pitcher is modern, but I am not sure about this. It is very pretty.

I have one scavo pitcher that I wondered about the age and source. It looks like a modern Persian-like piece. It tests a soft postive (pale yellow-green) with black light, though, so it was probably late 19th Century. I still don't know where it is from. These pieces can be so difficult. Sometimes what looks modern is old. I hope that you will be able to find documentation.

Anita

Thanks for your comments, colleagues!